Good circulation entails blood that is pumped by the heart efficiently going to the rest of the body and back. Healthy veins efficiently send deoxygenated blood back to the heart, through contractions and one-way valves that close to prevent blood from flowing back down. However, vein issues do occur, such as vein valves can become faulty, pressure can build in the vein walls, causing a weakening of the veins.
Varicose veins, swollen, twisted, and prominent branch-like veins, are usually a sign of poor vein health. Vein health plays a vital role in overall health, and nobody wants unsightly veins on their legs. Luckily, caring for your veins can be done at home.
Tips for Optimal Vein Health
You will be surprised to know that keeping healthy veins does not require much effort. At-home tips include:
- Staying active to keep the blood pumping. Try to avoid sitting for long periods of time or spending the whole day in bed. Get up and get out. Move and your veins will thank you.
- Keep hydrated for good blood coagulability. Hydration is key to having thinner blood, which flows easily, making it easier for the veins to move back toward the heart.
- Maintain a healthy weight to decrease pressure on veins. Excess weight means increased pressure on the leg veins, and when they are squeezed, they are prone to damage. Damaged veins are not healthy veins as their defects will cause blood to pool and not return to the heart. Obesity is known to hide the problem of varicose veins in the legs due to excessive fatty tissues.
- Quit smoking to preserve vein quality. Smoking affects healthy circulation by causing the walls of the veins to narrow and harden and blood to thicken.
- Use compression stockings to help muscles contract. Compression stockings assist the muscles with contraction and help veins move blood. If you are at risk of varicose veins due to pregnancy or your occupation, wearing compression stockings can help.
- Elevate your legs to assist your veins. At the end of a long day, keeping your legs elevated above heart level helps the blood flow back to the heart. This is a preventive measure against varicose veins, as it prevents blood from pooling in the veins.
A vein specialist is your ally and advocate for better vein health. If you know you are at risk for varicose veins due to genetics, pregnancy, or your occupation or lifestyle, a vein specialist can help you prevent vein issues and maintain healthy veins and beautiful legs.
Vein Specialist in Kansas City and Marshall, MO
Dr. Scott Darling at Missouri Vein Specialists has a stellar reputation for providing his patients with excellent results using a wide range of vein treatments. Dr. Darling not only diagnoses and treats patients with vein diseases but also provides preventive care through highly personalized and highly specific recommendations.
Dr. Darling is your trusted vein doctor in Kansas City, Liberty, and Marshall. To schedule an appointment, call our vein clinic today at (816) 792-3400 or use our convenient appointment request form.