What Is a Vein Doctor?
Beauty is skin-deep, and so are some vein disorders! While you might assume that you can simply seek treatment from an aesthetic doctor for vein problems, they might actually be more than just a cosmetic nuisance – so it’s best to see a physician who specializes in treating varicose veins and spider veins.
This is why vein doctors exist. With their expertise and the specialized medical procedures they can perform, a vein doctor has much to offer anyone in need of treatment for vein diseases and unsightly veins.
Let’s talk about what vein doctors are, when to see one, what to expect during your first appointment, and where to find a good vein clinic in Kansas City:
Vein Doctors: What They Are and What They Do
A vein doctor is a medical practitioner who has undergone further training after medical school to expertly diagnose, treat, and prevent any form of vein disease, such as varicose veins, spider veins, clotting disorders, or leg ulcers. Vein doctors are extensively trained to determine which treatment method is best for each patient’s condition, and they can administer a variety of vein treatments in a clinical setting.
Many people shrug off their varicose veins, thinking they are just a cosmetic problem and don’t warrant medical attention. As it turns out, untreated varicose veins can actually lead to leg ulcers and blood clots, which is a medical problem that is potentially life-threatening. A vein doctor utilizes certain procedures that are crucial to reducing the likelihood of developing complications from varicose veins.
When to See a Vein Doctor
You need to see a vein doctor if you have any of these conditions and symptoms:
- Discomfort – Cramps, heaviness, or pain, especially in your legs and feet
- Swelling – Chronic swelling, especially in your legs and feet
- Venous ulcers – Open wounds that usually form on your lower legs and are caused by pooling of blood in a superficial vein
- Blood clot – This can lead to a serious condition known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Your First Appointment with a Vein Doctor
Your vein doctor will begin your first appointment by asking you some basic questions about your symptoms before conducting a physical examination. You may also ask questions that will help you get a good understanding of your condition and its possible treatment options, such as:
- What causes vein disorders, such as varicose veins?
- What can exacerbate my varicose veins or spider veins?
- What symptoms should I expect if they progress?
- Will there be serious complications that may result from a lack of treatment?
- What tests do I have to undergo?
If need be, further testing may be ordered for a more thorough assessment of your condition. Depending on the results, your vein doctor may recommend any of these vein disease treatment options:
- Sclerotherapy – This is a procedure performed using a variety of solutions, such as foam, liquid, and ultrasound. It is a great treatment for spider veins.
- Endovenous Ablation – This is performed to address vein disease from the inside of the vein. It is a preferred alternative to traditional surgical procedures, such as vein stripping.
- Microphlebectomy – Also referred to as ambulatory phlebectomy, this procedure is performed to treat enlarged, twisting varicose veins that are not responding well to endovenous ablation treatment.
- High Ligation – This is an in-office procedure that involves a small groin incision, and it is geared toward addressing many serious cases of vein disease. If your vein doctor is recommending this treatment for you, the physician will explain the reason why it is in your best interest to have this procedure done.
Top Varicose Vein Doctor in Kansas City, Liberty, Marshall, MO, and Leavenworth, KS
If you are looking for a reliable, board-certified vein doctor in Kansas City and Marshall, look no further than Dr. Scott Darling here at Missouri Vein Specialists. Over the course of his career as a venous and lymphatic medicine specialist, Dr. Darling has earned a solid reputation by consistently providing his patients with excellent results.
Whether you are suffering from spider veins, varicose veins, restless leg symptoms, venous ulcers, or any other symptoms of venous insufficiency, you can get expert care from the best vein doctor in Kansas City. Contact our friendly staff today by calling (816)-792-3400 or by filling out our online form. We look forward to serving you!